Clickable list items will take you to buying advice or great products.
Basic Layette and Clothing.
Baby clothes are cuter than ever, and you could easily blow your entire baby products budget just on sweet little socks and tiny rompers! These are the basics that baby needs, though you likely won't be able to resist buying beyond the basics in this category.
- Special going-home outfit
- Basic Clothing Layette
- Winter Coat or Snowsuit - if season is right for it
- Infant Swimsuit - if season is right for it
- Sun hat with brim or warm winter hat
- Gentle or scent-free detergent for baby's laundry
You can find cute mobiles, wall decor, lamps, rugs and more to coordinate with your baby's nursery. Below are the items found in most nurseries, to give you a starting point for your baby's special room.
- Crib mattress
- Crib bedding
- Waterproof mattress pad, if mattress has a cloth cover
- Diaper changing table
- Dresser or bins for clothing storage
- Glider or rocking chair
- Diaper pail
- Baby monitor
- Laundry bag or basket
- Toy bin
Bathing and Baby Care.
That amazing baby smell doesn't last very long unless you're ready to wash off the myriad messes babies make. Before you buy many baby bath supplies, consider whether you want to bathe your newborn in a regular tub, a sink, or in a special baby tub.
- Baby bathtub or insert for your regular tub
- Baby shampoo and body wash
- Baby lotion
- Hooded baby towels, or soft regular towels
- Baby washcloths, or soft regular washcloths
- Baby nail clippers
- Nasal aspirator
- Digital rectal thermometer
- Infant acetaminophen drops
- Infant-safe sunscreen
Because babies grow so fast in their first few months, they need to eat really often. Before baby arrives, you'll need to decide whether you will breastfeed or bottle feed. Some of these product purchases will depend on which feeding method you choose.
- Breastfeeding support pillow
- Breast pump
- Nursing bra
- Breast pads
- Lanolin cream
- Breastmilk freezer storage containers
- Bottles and nipples
- Dishwasher basket for bottles
- Bottle brush
- Bottle drying rack
- Bottle and pacifier sterilizer
- Baby formula
Not long after baby eats, you'll need to be ready for a diaper change. Before you buy any diapering supplies, decide whether you want to use cloth diapers or disposable diapers. Not only are the diapers different, but you may need different diaper pails or other supplies for each type, as well.
Soothing and Entertainment.
OK, secret time. Sometimes babies cry. If you think your baby may cry at some point, the following products are tried and true baby soothers that may help return a smile to every face in the household. As for newborn fun, your baby's attempts to smile and coordinate arm movements may be amusing enough for everyone, but it won't hurt to have a few toys available to stimulate baby's growing brain.
- Baby swing
- Infant bouncer
- Swaddling blanket
- Play mat or play gym
- Small plush toys or rattles
- Infant gas relief drops
When it's time to show off your precious new baby, you'll need a whole other set of baby products to get out of the house with safety and style. Car seats are now required by every state in the U.S., in some states to age 8, so it's a good idea to spend some extra time learning about this important purchase.
- Car seat
- Travel System or Stroller (with reclining seat for newborn)
- Baby carrier
- Diaper bag
- Diaper and wipes case
- Portable play yard